BBQ Lettuce and Sauvignon Blanc
Try something exciting for your next BBQ!
Believe it or not, BBQ’d romaine hearts with a little balsamic vinegar sprinkled over top and your favourite pork or chicken sliced and placed on the romaine, works so well that we often use this recipe several times during BBQ season.
Not only does it taste great but I never tire of the, “are you kidding” from most of our friends. The change in the taste of the lettuce mixed with the pork tenderloin (my favourite) is quite amazing. You may have BBQ’d peppers and onions or mushrooms, so why not lettuce. Give it a try, you’ll be happy you did, but make sure you pair it with a Sauvignon Blanc. My go to vegetable and/or salad wine.
- Your favourite BBQ’d pork or chicken breast recipe. (I usually use a rub but not too spicy)
- Romaine hearts (you need the spine to leaf ratio so it doesn’t get too flimsy while cooking)
- Olive oil (we use good cold pressed extra virgin…life is too short not to use good oil)
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
1. BBQ to taste, your favourite pork tenderloin or chicken breast, then cover in foil and let rest.
2. Meanwhile, brush on some olive oil to cover both sides of the romaine hearts you have prepared, then a light sprinkle of salt and pepper on both sides.
3. On medium to high temperature, place the romaine on the grill with the spine of the lettuce face down and cook each side for approximately 10-20 seconds, or until just the edges of the leafs are brown/slightly charred.
VERY IMPORTANT: Do not leave the bbq unattended, the smaller pieces can take 10 seconds a side.
4. Once the leafs are cooked,place them on each plate and sprinkle some balsamic vinegar over top.
5. Then slice your pork tenderloin or chicken and lay the slices directly on the romaine (sometimes we sprinkle a little more balsamic on the pork)
My favourite wine with this meal is Sauvignon Blanc. Good acidity matches well with veggies and will even stand up to the balsamic!
Enjoy! Pretty easy eh!