Gordo’s BBQ Back Ribs-Another Summer Staple!
Here is a favourite BBQ recipe from my friend Gord. I’m by no means a great cook so I feel fortunate to have people around me that are happy to share their recipes. I know… more BBQing, but t’is the season.
Craig’s Wine Match: If you’re using a typical off-the-shelf spicy BBQ sauce, then my wine pairing preference would be a full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz or Red Zinfandel, that is oaked or barrel aged. Back ribs have more meat and less fat than spare ribs, making the meal in essence a steak on a bone. However, my rule still stands… there is no rule!
GORD’S BACK RIBS
Ingredients (makes 4-6 servings)
4 Racks pork back ribs (each about 1½ lb/750g)
4 tbsp Your favourite spicy barbeque seasoning
12 Thin slices fresh lemon
1 Bottle of your favourite barbeque sauce
1. Rub ribs all over with spicy barbeque seasoning.
2. Arrange ribs meat-side down in large roasting pan, overlapping as necessary to fit pan. Place lemon slices on top. (The acid in the lemon helps tenderize the meat.)
3. Pour in water to a depth of ½ inch (1 cm). Cover pan with foil and place in 325ºF (160ºC) oven for about 2 – 2½ hours or until meat pulls away cleanly from the bone.
4. Place on well-greased grill over medium-high heat for a few minutes until ribs are crispy and deep brown in colour.
5. Continue cooking, turning and brushing often with the barbeque sauce, for 10 to 15 minutes until ribs are slightly charred, but not burned.
6. Remove from grill and brush lightly with more sauce.
7. Slice between ribs and serve.
Cheers & Bon Appetite!
Image Credit: oracorac