Impressive Pairings Recipe of the Month-SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
Pork chop fans will love this simple yet elegant skillet recipe.
- 4 bone-in pork rib chops
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light bodied red
- wine such as Pinot Noir or Gamay
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Season pork chops with salt and
Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in a heavy or cast iron skillet set over medium-high
heat. Add pork chops and sear for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until
well-browned. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, onion, garlic and thyme to
skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until onions are
well-browned. Stir in wine, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a
Nestle pork chops into skillet. Simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes or
until just a hint of pink remains (or pork is cooked to preferred doneness).
Remove pork chops to a platter. Spoon pan sauce over top and sprinkle
with parsley (if using).
TIP: For moist, tender pork, cook to an internal temperature of 150°F
(65°C). Serve with mashed potatoes, rice pilaf or buttered noodles and
steamed green vegetables.