It’s Caesar Salad Season
Warmer weather brings to mind salad season and here is one of my faves. And, as always, the only stipulation for posting a recipe on Craig’s Wine is that it is easy enough for Craig to make. Well done Shawn.
Traditional Caesar Salad – Serves 4
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or rubbed into sides of a wooden bowl with pepper
- 3 anchovy fillets, drained and minced
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or ½ a lemon to squeeze
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder (add as needed)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups croutons
- 6 slices bacon minced into bacon bits.
1. Crack pepper into large salad bowl and crush your clove of garlic and crush anchovies in the same salad bowl.
2. Crack egg and separate whites from yolks. Place yolks into salad bowl. Mix your garlic, anchovies, lemon juice (or squeezed juice from lemon), mustard powder, Worcestershire and pepper. Whisk until blended well and gradually blend in olive oil to thin and mix. Your finished dressing should be a light paste and you can use more or less olive oil to thin to your taste.
3. Begin to slowly cook bacon. At the same time prepare lettuce, and then break into bite-size pieces. Once bacon is crisp, add Romaine to salad bowl, toss until lettuce is well-coated with Caesar dressing. Sprinkle with Parmesan and croutons. Top with minced crisp bacon and Serve immediately.